Built circa 1573 as an estate farm by Dr John Gwynn, of the Wynne family of Gwydir, descendants of Owain Gwynedd, last king of North Wales.
Carefully restored by the present owners over the last thirty years, Plasglasgwm, together with its range of agricultural outbuildings and land is an unspoilt example of a farm holding of the sixteenth century.
Structural oak timbers in the house have been dated 1571 & 1573, the house features large oak lintel beams to the two chimneys, including, in one, the original brick-lined bread oven.
There are also surviving slate floors in parts of the house, oak floor boards, oak beams and ceiling timbers, and evidence of original door and window features.
Adjacent to the house is the Ysgubor, or barn, which is thought to pre-date the house, perhaps to medieval times. Original features included the slate roof, exposed queen posts and timbers, original slate floor and a doorway featuring a stone door head consisting of 2 dressed stone lintels, believed to have brought from another even older building on the estate and re-used for this barn.
Once the farm changed ownership from the Wynne family, allegedly as a result of a gambling debt, Plasglasgwm had a number of owners over the centuries, most recently Lord Mostyn, Lord Penrhyn and The National Trust, all of whom continued to tenant the farm and its surrounding land. The last tenants left in the 1960s, with the house then being used occasionally for a holiday home, and then empty for several years.
Plasglasgwm came into private ownership in 1991, since when the present owners have undertaken an extensive renovation of the house, outbuildings & grounds, including the acquisition of the agricultural farm buildings in their entirety, resulting in Plasglasgwm being back to its original form for the first time since 1951.
It is now possible to come and visit or stay at Plasglasgwm - the long sheep barn has been converted to provide self-catering holiday accommodation, the cow shed is now a superior room for 2 guests, and there are glamping-style bedrooms in the original 19th century pig sties.
In 2016, Siop Coffi opened its doors for teas, coffees and light snacks - our own coffee shop for residents & visitors alike, in the bottom shed, once home to cows, goats and the farm tractor.